Saturday, August 23, 2008

Wrong Number!





We have been getting a lot of phone calls again lately for Cherise Timmerman and Shawn Rogers.

At least 2-3 a week, on average.

As a general rule, these calls are only a minor annoyance and generally go something like this:

Caller: Can I speak to Cherise Timmerman/Shawn Rogers please?
Me: (sighing inside) I'm sorry but that person is not at this number.
Caller: Do you know where they can be reached?
Me: No, let me explain. I do not know this person. I do, however, know the name because I get phone calls several times a week from people looking for them. Apparently they had this number before we did but I do not know who they are.
Caller: (This part varies from extremely rude "We won't call again" and hanging up to a much nicer, "I'm sorry for bothering you, I'll make a note on the account.")

The note part never seems to really work though, because it's the same companies calling over and over. And sure enough, a day or two later and they'll call again.

Even better than this though, are the recorded messages we get asking us to call back.

???

Who thinks this is a good idea? Does anyone who actually owes someone money really call these companies back?

One in particular is really bad. They show up on the Caller ID as RMI MCSI with a phone number of 708-455-4047. The message does identify them as trying to collect a debt, although other messages from them have alluded to a "municipal issue" they're trying to resolve.

When I call back, the person answers with a "How can I help you?"

Huh? Um, you called me... I'm just returning the call.

So I tell them this and then they ask me to wait a moment (while my number shows up somewhere I guess?) and then inevitably they say they are looking for Cherise Timmerman or Shawn Rogers.

Two days ago I told the guy this was at least the fifth time they have called recently and while I realize he was probably not the one responsible, he needed to get it figured out for me. And I pointed out that each return call I make is long distance.

I just googled this company and I am apparently not alone. I reported my calls and will look into it more later.

This isn't all though, another one of these "please return this call" messages landed me on the phone with a hotel clerk in Costa Rica a few weeks ago. Needless to say, I hung up very quickly but I should look into that more too.

We've also been getting daily phone calls for satellite service (we have it) and healthcare insurance (got that too - pretty good insurance, actually.)

All of this - and we have an unlisted phone number. That, I might add, we changed several years ago because of the weekly phone calls from creditors we were getting for someone else who had our number before us.

Ironic, huh?

Before you ask, no we haven't registered for the do not call list. We haven't really needed to before because the unlisted number seemed to afford us the protection we needed. But I guess the time has come.

And if you know Cherise Timmerman or Shawn Rogers, I'd love to have their current contact information... it's either that, or change the number again!

1 comment:

Taripre$ said...

Yeah, I still get these dumb calls as well til this day....so irritating, though I don't answer the phone. They call quite often, and, well you already know...lol!!


Thanx
Taripre$